Wednesday, December 17, 2014

FSH Bucket List of Best Bars #4 The South Philadelphia Tap Room

Two Friday nights in a row we set out on our pub bucket list adventure.  Number 4 out of 50.  8% through. 

Like every journey, I’m having second thoughts.  Is this a crazy expense?  Is the FSH house sick of bar food?  Sick of each other?  Tired of rushing out of work only to fight the masses?  Kevin dutifully picks us up at 5 and we fetch Lisa from the streets of Philly.  What a beautiful sight to spot her among the crowds and have her jump into the back seat with me.  Right away, I’m reassured that it’s worth it.

We arrive at the South Philadelphia Tap Room after Kevin masterfully parallel parks on an impossibly narrow street.  It’s already packed at 5:45.  And there’s Jeanne in the back corner saving a table for six.  Somehow this is our new “welcome home” as we all enter our roles as empty nesters.

Burgers and pulled pork all the way around except for my grilled cheese and tomato lager soup and Todd’s muscles.  My grilled cheese was amazing. The ultimate comfort food and, honestly, probably the best I’ve ever had. And I know my grilled cheeses.


Ratings: 

Vibe:  Thriving.  It’s good to see a place so full of life.
Server:  Adorable and pleasant. And, she can rock a braided updo.
Drinks:  You can’t go wrong at a tap room, right? 
Food : A- to B+.  Food made the honor role, but not the principal’s list.  I would have been happier with virgin tomato soup. I know I’ll infuriate lots of lager lovers, but it turned my soup into a discomfort food.  Desserts were decadent, almost to the point of a chocolate coma. You can decide if that’s good or bad.

Not sure if we’ll squeeze in another bar before the holidays, but we’ll try.

46 to go!


2 comments:

  1. Love your Adventure! Also love the description of the "dis-comfort food".
    This one looks like trying and I look forward to venturing out to fully try on your adventure. But for now I will live vicariously, sit tight until you have a few more Bars under your belt. Go young empty nesters!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your support! Join us on one of our jaunts in 2015!

      Delete