Friday, October 28, 2011

Bonaventure Cemetery


I was saving this post for Halloween. One of the trips we took on our mom/mom son/son (me, Lisa, Richie and Ryan) road trip earlier this year was to Savannah. Having read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, I begged my three companions to let me visit Bonaventure Cemetery, which is a few miles out of town. Wow. There is something so breathtakingly beautiful and peaceful about this place.   It’s like walking through an art museum or botanical garden with its gorgeous statuary and iron gates.  Spanish moss drapes dramatically across tall oaks and magnolia trees, adding a mysterious and moody vibe.

Bonaventure Cemetery is full of contradictions.  First, it seems to shun its fame as a tourist destination and keep its old southern dignity in tact.  Also, there is a special comingling of death and life. Among the graves are lush greenery and flowers bursting with color.  Birds yell overhead, mocking the stillness and solitude.

Truly a haunting place to visit.  Happy Halloween.




1 comment:

  1. Chris-As I told you recently (we love getting our nails done, don't we..)I LOVE your Blog! And I REALLY loved this one because I loved the book
    Midnight In The Garden.... And it made me really want to visit Savannah because of it! I've always thought we have a similar point of view and reading your blog these past few months just affirms that!Keep up the great work-I so enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete