Monday, October 24, 2011

Boardwalk Bench Encounter


Yesterday I was taking a nice long solo stroll on the boardwalk.  I was mildly surprised when, as I was passing by a bench, a lady said to me, “Hi, can I ask your opinion about something?” I nodded. She told her two companions, possibly her adult children, not to say a word.

“I have a job interview Wednesday,” she began. “I was debating whether I should color my gray hair.” Wow. My heart momentarily stopped. I wanted to help her. What was the appropriate answer here? She saw my hesitation and said, “Just give me your first instinct.”

“Be loud and proud,” I said. “You’re beautiful as you are and that will come through on Wednesday.” She beamed; sat a little straighter and said to her bench mates, “see, I told you.”

I relayed this story to a few people and they said, “I hope you said the right thing; after all, it’s a job interview.” To my mind, the right thing is her being comfortable in her own skin (and hair).  I’d be just as supportive if she wanted to go the Miss Clairol route.  As a wise 13 year old said at her bat mitzvah, “be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”



2 comments:

  1. Ok the surprise ending was a delightful surprise. Wow that was my "wise 13 year old"!!!! Love you and your positive take on life. The "wise one" will be thrilled to have made an appearance in your fantastic Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I consider her advice some of the best I've ever gotten. Right up there with Steve Jobs telling me to stay foolish! Love and miss you...

    ReplyDelete