Wednesday, September 28, 2011

One Two Knock-Out Punch Bowl



While browsing in the thrift store last week, I noticed a proliferation of punch bowls.  Back in the day, every chic hostess graced her buffet table with a grand punch bowl set.  What happened over the years to relegate it to the bottom shelf in a body bag?

As much as I appreciate the appeal of the punch bowl and my nostalgia over grandma’s sherbet ginger ale concoction, I can understand the punch bowl graveyard I encountered.  First of all, who has the space to warehouse this delicate monstrosity? And, if one of the twelve cups gets broken, will you ever be able to replace it? Not to mention the inevitable ladle sloshing that occurs commonly with spiked punch.

Interestingly enough, in some circles, punch bowls are making a comeback. Trendy cocktail lounges all over the country are offering happy hours featuring punch bowls that serve as a sort of communal “water cooler” where partygoers congregate.  If you want to beat ‘em to the punch, I know where you can pick up some punch bowls on the cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment