Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Suburban Desert


When there aren’t enough sources of fresh food in an urban or rural area – it’s called a food desert.  Could this be happening in suburbia, too?



Over the past year, I’ve noticed a disturbing trend.  Supermarkets are closing.  Right here in the burbs.  At least three within a few miles of each other.  What’s going on?


Some speculate that competition from the big chains is causing these food stores to “underperform.”  Without supermarkets, it tends to make people turn to fast food.  We’re being overfed and undernourished. 


All I know is that it makes me sad. Sad that I can’t jump in my car and pop over to Pathmark.  Sad that my mom can’t step out her apartment and stroll to Superfresh. But mostly, I'm sad for the people who lost their livelihood. 

There’s always hope, though. I heard that a new market is making plans to occupy one of the empty spaces.  I know I'll never take this oasis for granted again.



5 comments:

  1. "It's the economy." Stores like Bottom Dollar, Aldis, etc. are springing up, but the food they offer is hardly a good quality...people do what they've got to do. I still pray every night for a Trader Joe's in Gloucester County...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's kind of eerie. Sort of how I feel about the Post Office situation. Hard to imagine places like food stores and the post office not being there. Just another thing in this crazy world we currently live in.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      That's a good word for it - eerie...
      I hope we wake up and realize the price we are paying for the "cheap" prices and "conveniences."
      Thanks so much for reading and commenting!
      Chris

      Delete
  3. Hi Chris-
    Whole Foods is moving into the space vacated by Genuardi's at Ellsberg Circle in Cherry Hill--hope the other spaces will become occupied soon.

    ReplyDelete