Friday, November 25, 2011

Fortunate Daughter


When my dad passed away 12 days ago, I asked him to send me a sign that he was all right.  Since then, I’ve heard particularly loud birds singing sweet songs. I’ve felt the wind dance around my feet, swirling circles of leaves and reminding me how he vigorously stirred his coffee. And now, this. Opening up my fortune cookie, well, you can imagine that it took my breath away. Thanks, Dad, for letting us know you haven’t left us.

He didn’t want any fanfare or ceremony, but we just had to honor his life. We chose to do a “Life Well-Lived” Celebration. It was good for our collective souls to tell stories, see his WWII dog tags, brag of his accomplishments, laugh over photos of him doing a funky dance at some long ago wedding. He taught us how to live our lives to the foolish. As a famous doctor (Dr. Seuss) once said, “don’t cry because it’s over; smile because it happened.”


3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tribute. I'm sure you missed him yesterday, but gave Thanks for having had him for so long...

    I believe in these little messages--especially the birds...it is no coincidence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Snowglazed! Yes, the birds really come to me all the time.
    I keep two black crow statues on my front porch to let in "joy."
    Enjoy the holiday season...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could honoring your dad get anymore beautiful than that? I was so glad to be apart of the tribute to your dad. Not only did your tribute and your "paragraph" bring tears to my eyes, but it reinforced how "fortunate" we are to have such wonderful fathers. And for that we will be forever grateful and thankful.

    ReplyDelete